Sunday, February 22, 2009

Cherry Tree 10 Mile

I did the Cherry Tree 10 miler in Prospect Park today and I have to say, it was really nice to run a race so close to home. Unfortunately for me, it started right on time when I was still on the line for the bathroom so I missed the start by what I think is about a minute and a half. It was a really fun race, low key and lots of spectators at the finish area.

My plan was to run about 5 miles easy before it started and then run the first 8 miles at marathon pace and the last 2 as fast as I could. I sort of stuck to that plan, I did the 5 before and then the next 8 were a little fast. I think I was just excited to be passing everyone (since I started late) and so used to running the park loop that I ended up picking up the pace on the flat parts because I knew right where I was. My splits were all over the place - for the miles going up the hill, they were right around 7:30 but on the flat and downhill parts they varied from around 7:10 to 7:20. I ran the last 2 miles hard, 7:01 (up the hill again) and 6:33 for a total time of 72:02. Pretty good for miles 14 and 15.

Distance: 15 miles
Time: 1hr 58min