Sunday, March 08, 2009

Celebrate Life Half Marathon

Today I ran the Celebrate Life Half Marathon in Rock Hill, NY. For a small race, only about 500 people - about 200 more than they had last year, they did a great job putting it on. They had volunteers at every intersection in addition to a very well marked course. There was plenty of water and gatorade along the way and they handed out gels about half way through. They even had door prizes (randomly drawn) and a bottle of wine, socks or hats, and medals for the top three in each age group! Lucky for me, my age group also had the 2nd and 3rd place overall women so I got bumped up to 2nd and got in on the awards!

However, the course was really hard. It was probably one of the hilliest races I've ever done. It started out with a long uphill at around half a mile and I don't think there was a flat part the whole way. Needless to say, my time wasn't great but I enjoyed the scenery. I'd definitely recommend this one if you are looking for a hilly spring half marathon next year.

Distance: 14 miles
Time: 1 hr, 48 min