Thursday, May 07, 2009

Track

So I'm not really training for anything right now and its strange. I know its only a few weeks after Boston, but I'm feeling funny about it. Like I'm lost with no direction. So instead of letting it get to me by just running easy miles like I have been for the last few weeks, I decided I might as well give the old Team Utopia 400 progression workouts a try since they were on the calendar. Its basically a series of 400 repeat workouts where the number increases and the rest decreases for about 8 weeks. Sound fun?

Today I did the first set. It was 8x400 with 3 min rest. I did it down at the Red Hook track - after running at the always crowded track at McCarren Park for so many years, it still amazes me that I can go down to Red Hook and have the track to myself. Splits were good, nice and even - all 88-90 except the last one which I did in 83. For the first set, it went OK. Next week is 12 so it'll definitely push me to do 4 more... I certainly couldn't have done 4 more today.