Tuesday, November 24, 2009

New Training Plan Begins!

This week I'm starting a new training plan that I pulled off of the Runner's World website. I'm giving the advanced level a try and if it starts to seem like too much, I'm going to back down a level. So far, so good. Yesterday I did my first workout: 4xmile at half marathon goal pace w/ 400 jog recovery and then 6x200 a bit faster w/ 100 jog recover. Here's how it went down:
14 min warmup to the track in Red Hook
Mile Splits:
6:52
7:00
7:01
7:01
200's:
44
45
45
46
46
43
12 min warmdown home
Overall, it was a pretty good workout, nice and consistent, although I'm not sure that 7 min pace is really my goal half marathon pace. It felt strange to run on the track and go any slower, and I felt like I could hold it through the whole workout, so it just ended up being the pace for the day.

Today was my recovery day, I did an easy run, around in Red Hook again, for 5.2 miles / 44 min. My body felt OK, considering what I made it do yesterday, so its definitely a good solid start to the week. Next up is going to be a similar workout mixed in with a Turkey Trot on Thursday, should be lots of fun.