Saturday, December 05, 2009

Week 2

This week had a lot less running, but I still managed one workout and my long run. I did a lot of traveling, coming home from upstate on Sunday and then a trip down to North Carolina on Monday. Tuesday I got in a treadmill workout that I made up as I went along. Ended up doing two sets of 1 mile, 1/2 mile and 1/4 mile getting faster as it went on, for a total of about 6.5 miles. Due to lack of time to sleep and a sore lower back (probably from the treadmill run and being on my feet all day at work) I took Wednesday off. Did an easy run on Thursday, again on a treadmill, with some strides thrown in at the end. Friday I was back home and made it out for an easy 5 miler around Red Hook.

This morning I made it out for the Saturday PPTC group run. It worked out perfectly, I ran the 2 miles up to GAP and then did about 10 miles with the group at a nice pace, around 8:15/mile. I think we gradually picked up the pace as we went along, across the Brooklyn Bridge, around the Battery, and then back to Brooklyn. I knew I had to do my last 2 miles faster so I left the group in Carroll Gardens and did the last part by myself (also that way I got to avoid going back up the slope to GAP). I didn't really know how fast I was going, just that I was trying to hold a faster pace until my watch hit 14 miles and I was pleasantly surprised when I checked the Garmin and saw I'd held a 6:52 pace for the last 2.4 miles. These long runs with pickups added are a really challenge for me, but I know that when I can get them done like I did today, its also a big confidence booster. Definitely makes me look forward to the training week ahead!